Belle Isle Gardens and Battery White opened to the public
Battery White remained undisturbed for more than 100 years being part of the Belle Isle Plantation. During the late 19th Century the plantation was extensively landscaped, and circa 1946 the gardens were opened to to the public.
(Adapted from the nomination form proposing that Battery White be added to the National Register of Historic Places. See the complete form (pdf) on our Documentation page.)